1. Plan Ur Mix
- Pick a Title, Pick a Genre, Pick a Style.
- Who will the mix be for ?
- How many tracks ?
- Will you be using acapellas? Samples? Scratching Techniques ?
- Set up your cue pts & practice any hard mixes.
2. Test Ur Levels
- Make sure the music is of good quality.
- Open your recording software.
- Load up some tracks on both Decks & use this to check your recording levels.
- Adjust the levels to make sure you are not peaking in the red.
3. Starting Checklist
- Have everything you need nearby.
- Have pen & paper to hand to take notes during recording.
- Remove distractions from the area you are recording in.
- Turn off the Phone.
- Make sure you hit record on your software before you start your mix.
4. Mix Notes
- Have a plan for the mix.
- Clearly set out your track Listing including BPM / Keys etc.
5. Document The Mix
- Take notes as you record the mix.
- Document mistakes & the times where they take place.
6. Back Up
- Name the recording & save it.
- Make a copy of the mix & rename it edit version.
- Where possible BackUp the file to an external hard drive.
7. Editing & Quality
- Top & Tail the file so that it starts & finishes smoothly.
- Correct any mistakes from the recording & your notes.
- Add any markers if putting on CD formatt.
8. Mastering & Fleshing out Mix
- Open your Mastering Plugin.
- Look for tracks that are too quiet or too Loud during the mix.
- Pick your settings for formatting, Highlight the mix, set the threshold & compress the mix.
9. Exporting & Saving Mix
- Add track Markers
- Save as an easy to find & memorable name.
10. Promoting The Mix
- Upload the mix to Mixcloud / Soundcloud & youtube.
- Share the links on your social Media outlets.
- Burn to CD & hand out to Bar / Nightclub promoters & owners.
- Commit to making regular Mixtapes.